May is a fabulous month – summer is on its way and the flowers are already in bloom. Mind you, it seems to come around more quickly each year! How many of you are still on track with your New Year resolutions and plans for2017 (do you even remember them)?. That’s the way it often goes with our goals. We set out with good intentions, but then soon get de-railed and give up. Usually accompanied by feelings of failure and frustration.
It can happen to any of us. I recall realising early last year that I was being held back from writing the book I’d always wanted to write, simply by my own lack of belief that I could do it. As soon as I realised what was happening, I made a couple of changes and sonn started writing. Finally, “Life in the Driving Seat: taking your road trip to happiness” was published in December 2016.
My achievement had been delayed by falling into one of three common traps which can hold us back from following through with our goals. These are:
1. We don’t plan and/or prepare realistically for what we want to achieve. Therefore, we don’t find the time or the resources necessary.
2. We might be aiming for goals that we do not really want. Maybe we feel that we ought or should achieve a particular goal. Alternatively, it might be that we did once want to achieve it but that our lives have moved on and, in reality, it’s not something that drives us anymore.
3. We lack confidence in our ability to really achieve them. If we don’t believe in ourselves, then we are unlikely to put effort into planning and we’re also unlikely to tell people who could support and help us.
My trap was the third one – lack of belief in my ability to actually find the time and inspiration to write a book, so never even talking about it. Once I realised that, it took just two actions to get me moving in the right direction:
• I told people who could support me and I invested in a book coach who could teach me how.
• Then I started to write - now I’m already thinking about my next book.
What’s holding you back from achieving your dreams and ambitions? Whatever it is, working with a coach can enable you to identify your obstacles, your motivation and enable you to stay focussed and on-track. Then success becomes inevitable.
I work with clients face-to-face and via Skype, so wherever you are, why not find out more about how I could help you to achieve the happiness success that you deserve? I am also available to talk to groups who want to learn more about stress management, improving lifestyle habits and confidence building. Contact me today for more information.
“Life in the Driving Seat: taking your road trip to happiness” is available from Amazon in paperback or Kindle versions.